Applications are invited for Fully funded Newton Fund PhD Call for United Kingdom and Indian Institutes.
The Newton-Bhabha Fund is offering the opportunity for UK and Indian PhD scholars to spend a period of their study (up to two to four months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions, to take place between April 2021 and December 2021.
On behalf of the Department for Business Energy & Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom (UK) and the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, British Council India, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) are pleased to invite applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between UK and Indian institutions.
The aims of the Newton Fund PhD Call for United Kingdom and Indian Institutes program is:
- Develop individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Increase the number of highly trained researchers in the UK and India with international experience, able to contribute to the absorptive capacity for research and innovation and thus bring about economic and social benefits.
- Build cultural understanding and foster long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Develop international joint training pathways.
- Increase awareness of the research strengths of the UK and India.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- Visa fees, economy class international airfares and overseas travel insurance incurred by PhD scholars
- In-country costs including accommodation and a stipend for PhD scholars
- Bench fees (if applied for) by UK host university
In UK, Newton Fund PhD Call is open only for UK scholars pursuing their PhD at a UK higher education institution. Please see the list of eligible UK institutions in the downloads section below.
In India, the scheme is open only for Indian PhD scholars enrolled at Indian higher education institutions with the following criteria:
- INSPIRE PhD Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2017 are eligible to apply for STEM and Life Sciences subjects
- PhD Scholars (other than INSPIRE Fellows) pursuing a PhD in mid second or third year of Life Sciences are eligible to apply
- ICSSR Doctoral Fellows or registered PhD scholars (full time) studying in second or third year of Social Sciences are eligible to apply
The application for Newton Fund PhD Call for United Kingdom and Indian Institutes should be submitted by the PhD scholar with an endorsement from both the sending and receiving Head of Department (or equivalent) with the latter’s confirmation that they will host the PhD scholars, the duration of their stay and the level of bench fees, if applicable (bench fees are applicable only for UK host universities).
You can access the appropriate application form using the links below:
Institute Name: Indian and UK higher education institutions
Country: United Kingdom and India
Last Date: August 20, 2020