The aim of the research is to investigate and develop the potential of using distributed optical sensing technologies for structural health monitoring and model updating in a digital twin context.
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators, but especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3,500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be affiliated and around which our four campuses are located.
Our education and research are grounded in the principles of free research with an eye on human progress. We disapprove of every purely authoritative argument and guarantee the free formation of judgement that is necessary for this basic principle to be incorporated in the community.
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, you’ll work, every day, in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Our campuses are located in the middle of a green oasis at the edge of the capital city of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. That city centre, with all its opportunities and possibilities, is easily accessed by public transport in less than half an hour.
Depending on your experience and your academic merits, you’ll receive a salary in one of the grades that have been set by the government. Standard inclusions include hospitalisation insurance and the free use of public transport for your home–work commute. And if you prefer to bike to work? There’s compensation for that too. On both (VB1) campuses, there are extensive sport facilities available to you and childcare facilities within walking distance.
To be eligible for Fully Funded PhD Scholarship, applicants must:
- Hold a Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- Have a strong motivation for conducting scientific research at a high level
- Possess good analytical and technical skills
- Are interested in both experimental and numerical activities
- Are interested in mechanical behaviour of structural components, monitoring techniques and offshore wind energy
- Experience with data analysis, signal processing and programming in Python is an advantage
- Experience with setting up and conducting experiments is also an advantage
- Take responsibility for the development of your project in a well-structured, thorough way and you are able to solve problems independently. You display creativity in solving problems, generating ideas or finding new ways of working
- Have an open personality and are willing to contribute to the team and participate in didactic projects
- Have excellent communication skills in English, both orally and written
To apply for PhD-Scholarship OWI-lab: Project Boptic, applicants are required to submit:
- A concise Curriculum Vitae
- The academic dossier with all relevant elements
- A brief statement of reasons for the candidature, including an explanation of the expansion of future research
- Degrees and diplomas